Hello Kaiser Elementary families!
I hope you are all enjoying your summer. At Kaiser Elementary a lot is happening to prepare the campus for the year ahead.
Registration and Start of School Reminder
Registration is mandatory before the start of the year. Please plan to attend one of these dates.
- Wed, August 16, 3 – 6 PM
- “Livescan”, a required step for maximum volunteer clearance, will be available this day only.
- Our Dads’ Club will host a BBQ starting at 5 PM!
- Thurs, August 17, 9 – 11 AM
- Sat, August 19, 9 – 11 AM
First day of classes, Monday, August 21.
Summer Kinder Play Dates:
New Kinder kiddos and families will have several opportunities to meet one another this summer. All Kasier families are welcome to stop by and welcome our newest community members.
- Saturday, July 29, 10:00 AM. Frog Park. We will meet at the tables near the large play structure at the “top” of the park. Set your map app to “473 Hardy St” or park on Claremont under the freeway.
- Tuesday, Aug 1, 4:00 PM Dimond Park. We will meet within view of the entrance on Canon. Set your map app to “4097 Canon Ave.”
- Friday, Aug 18, 1:30 PM Kaiser Elementary. Our awesome kinder teachers, Mrs. Klapperich and Ms. Rebekah will be here to meet the kids.
School year calendar
Please take a moment to synch the school calendar with your family’s calendar. Please plan to take vacations and extended time away during school holidays. Kaiser Elementary follows the OUSD calendar. (Linked here.) However, each school sets its own minimum days which are important for professional development, assessments, and conferences. In 2017-18 there will be the same number of minimum days as past years, but based on feedback, we have made some changes as to when they fall. Minimum day dismissal is every Wednesday. In addition, the following days we will also have a 1:30 dismissal.
- August 21 – 25 (M-F)
- September 25 – 29 (M-F) F&P testing
- October 16 – 20 (M-F) Conferences
- November 17 (F) End of trimester 1
- March 2 (F) End of trimester 2
- March 12 – 16 (M-F) Conferences
- June 5 – 7 (T-F)
Summer projects at Kaiser
We have turned the school upside down in preparation for the coming school year!
- Our Finishing Kitchen project is well underway. This will continue into the start of the school year. It will limit staff parking, but will have no impact on instruction or service to kids.
- A new gas line has been put in.
- Alonzo has been hard at work deep cleaning the school.
- And the “BIA Clubhouse”, a summer program for children with autism, returns to Kaiser this week.
I posted some pictures on our Facebook page to give you a glimpse of some of these projects.
And here is your extra credit homework. 🙂
- Sign up for our classroom, PTA, and office email communication service, Konstella. Go to Konstella.com. In the top right corner click “find your school”. After finding “Kaiser Elementary” fill in the requested information. For “Classroom” select “do not know” at the bottom of the drop down menu. (This will replace Shutterfly and teacher email lists.)
- Begin the registration process for “volunteer clearance”. This is essential for many volunteer opportunities, such as going on field trips. Begin by reading this info and registering with Oakland Public Education Foundation.
- Support Kaiser without spending another penny! (And sometimes saving some!)
- Sports Basement. If you sign up for “Basementeers” you save 10% on all purchases and Sports Basement donates 10% of the purchase to Kaiser Elementary. It takes some time to process this, so do it now. (You can also register in the store, but it will cost $25, whereas it is free using this link.) Be sure to choose Kaiser Elementary in the dropdown menu.
- AmazonSmile If you use Amazon, sign up for “AmazonSmile”. It is the same Amazon or AmazonPrime, but with a 0.5% donation to Kaiser of all purchases.
- Start saving Box Tops for Education clipped from packages of many national brand products.
- Look to this page for other opportunities on this page.
- Share this info with family, friends and neighbors. Anyone can support Kaiser this way!
- Check out Kaiser’s website and Facebook page.
Once again, welcome to Kaiser Elementary! We are so happy to have you as a part of our school family!
~ Dennis Guikema, Principal